Module 5
When I read the resources of this week I became more familiar with Bloom's Taxonomy. I have studied Blooms' Taxonomy in the past and I have used it as a guide in my instruction. In the article I read though I realized that Blooms' taxonomy is a revised cognitive hierarchical plan of Anderson and Krathwhol from the 1950s. I realized then how important their research was in today's' education and how much they have offered to students all these years. The revised Bloom's Taxonomy is pretty much the same only changes nouns to verbs so students act on their learning.
Another important subject in this week's studying is teaching every student. Chapter 14 emphasizes a lot in planning a lesson ahead of time in the most effective way so we can become effective teachers. Time should be used wisely in the classroom and this something we should plan before the class. Rosenshine's six teaching functions on pg. 541 are the most useful in order to plan effectively. First review and check previous material, then present new material, provide guided practice, give feedback, provide independent practice, and finally review material. I tend to use and I have used Roseshine's steps numerous times in my instructions and it is proven the most effective. the most important of all is to review. I have noticed that even with best instruction and enthusiasm of teaching material, students remember with review. Planning should be carefully written taking under consideration state standards and objectives.
Assessment is another subject of this week's objectives. We need to be successful in assessing knowledge and effective tests can bring results. The tips in the resources were very helpful in creating a test and avoiding misleading questions. Before I read the test writing tips, I did not put much thought of it but every time I want to create a test for my students I know I can do better. Creating a test is much more than having the stem, the correct answer and the distractors. It is rather the art of assessing students' knowledge from the specific objectives that have been taught. Questions should be written in meaningful way with as much as more information and double negatives should be avoided. The questions should reflect comprehension and critical thinking thus they have to challenge students.
When I read the resources of this week I became more familiar with Bloom's Taxonomy. I have studied Blooms' Taxonomy in the past and I have used it as a guide in my instruction. In the article I read though I realized that Blooms' taxonomy is a revised cognitive hierarchical plan of Anderson and Krathwhol from the 1950s. I realized then how important their research was in today's' education and how much they have offered to students all these years. The revised Bloom's Taxonomy is pretty much the same only changes nouns to verbs so students act on their learning.
Another important subject in this week's studying is teaching every student. Chapter 14 emphasizes a lot in planning a lesson ahead of time in the most effective way so we can become effective teachers. Time should be used wisely in the classroom and this something we should plan before the class. Rosenshine's six teaching functions on pg. 541 are the most useful in order to plan effectively. First review and check previous material, then present new material, provide guided practice, give feedback, provide independent practice, and finally review material. I tend to use and I have used Roseshine's steps numerous times in my instructions and it is proven the most effective. the most important of all is to review. I have noticed that even with best instruction and enthusiasm of teaching material, students remember with review. Planning should be carefully written taking under consideration state standards and objectives.
Assessment is another subject of this week's objectives. We need to be successful in assessing knowledge and effective tests can bring results. The tips in the resources were very helpful in creating a test and avoiding misleading questions. Before I read the test writing tips, I did not put much thought of it but every time I want to create a test for my students I know I can do better. Creating a test is much more than having the stem, the correct answer and the distractors. It is rather the art of assessing students' knowledge from the specific objectives that have been taught. Questions should be written in meaningful way with as much as more information and double negatives should be avoided. The questions should reflect comprehension and critical thinking thus they have to challenge students.
No comments:
Post a Comment