Module 4
By reading this week's resources I felt that the need for a change in the traditional classroom is mandatory. First of all, in the videos I admired the way children were working by playing in Social Studies class and they were free to organize their information into their projects.Then in the video Collaborative Learning I realized how big the need is for a new model of schools. I totally agree with the speaker on that aspect that we follow a model of early 19th century. Relationships between students and teachers have to be more personal and students need to be engaged in more collaborative work.
In my classes I organize my students in teams and I see results. Students do not have any stress and they seem to be more engaged in the material because they can exchange opinions and they learn form each other. Some times when we have spelling they change notebooks and they correct each other. Students love team work and I think they learn better. Sometimes I need to do my instruction but by just listening to me talking is not enough. Students need to be engaged and to have visual representations to remember.
In it is shown in the Scaffolding video, students learn better when information are broken down. I really liked the way the teacher led her students to produce results so she can make sure that they have mastered the material. In my experience I have seen students paying more attention when information are introduces in smaller parts, they seem that they know what they are about to do or learn. In the Constructivism video students reported that they read the paragraphs and they took notes from their readings. I believe that all these tactics are great for organizing information
Even if we use all the above methods in our classrooms, rewarding plays a major role. Without motivation we cannot move on in our lives, imagine then the students. This week I became more familiar with rewarding tactics and I came to the conclusion that rewarding has to do with creativity and cannot be tangible in order to bring results. Although we need to see results from our students we have to realize that they are human beings and they function better when they are free to create and produce results that they can bring on their own and not because someone else told them
By reading this week's resources I felt that the need for a change in the traditional classroom is mandatory. First of all, in the videos I admired the way children were working by playing in Social Studies class and they were free to organize their information into their projects.Then in the video Collaborative Learning I realized how big the need is for a new model of schools. I totally agree with the speaker on that aspect that we follow a model of early 19th century. Relationships between students and teachers have to be more personal and students need to be engaged in more collaborative work.
In my classes I organize my students in teams and I see results. Students do not have any stress and they seem to be more engaged in the material because they can exchange opinions and they learn form each other. Some times when we have spelling they change notebooks and they correct each other. Students love team work and I think they learn better. Sometimes I need to do my instruction but by just listening to me talking is not enough. Students need to be engaged and to have visual representations to remember.
In it is shown in the Scaffolding video, students learn better when information are broken down. I really liked the way the teacher led her students to produce results so she can make sure that they have mastered the material. In my experience I have seen students paying more attention when information are introduces in smaller parts, they seem that they know what they are about to do or learn. In the Constructivism video students reported that they read the paragraphs and they took notes from their readings. I believe that all these tactics are great for organizing information
Even if we use all the above methods in our classrooms, rewarding plays a major role. Without motivation we cannot move on in our lives, imagine then the students. This week I became more familiar with rewarding tactics and I came to the conclusion that rewarding has to do with creativity and cannot be tangible in order to bring results. Although we need to see results from our students we have to realize that they are human beings and they function better when they are free to create and produce results that they can bring on their own and not because someone else told them
I loved the videos and had intended to write about them in my blog post as these are the types of things I recall doing. This level of engagement is inspiring and fun - I call it accidental learning. There is so much to learn without drilling (I do believe drilling has its time and place though). In these types of activities, this method of teaching, where it is student-active and, in some cases student-led, the enthusiasm and joy from the activity itself becomes the reward; that sense of accomplishment is gratifying in its own right.
ReplyDeleteI agree that we need more collaboration and team work in the classroom. I liked how you added that children seem to be more open and actually express misunderstandings in a group rather than individual work. Kids are more prone to express equal understanding or misunderstanding with their peers. Sometimes when teachers just talk the entire time they forget that the students are not on the same intellectual level as them and they will not speak up if they have questions. Learning together needs to become a priority because you can only go as fast as your slowest learner.
ReplyDelete